To start off the new year we’ve put together some of the best marriage tips that we have learned over the last 29 years.
Here’s to having the marriage you always dreamed of!
2. Play together. Bring back the fun! Playing together will bond you and lighten the load of doing life together.
3. Hug and kiss (like you mean it) every day. Nothing worse than that boring old peck on the cheek. Guys, put her up against the wall and kiss her slowly. Ladies, take your mind off your to-do list and kiss your man like the good ol’ days.
4. Say “I Love You” every day. Don’t take it for granted that your spouse knows you love him or her. Keep it fresh in their mind that you do by repeating it often.
5. Listen intentionally. Listen to understand, not to reply. It’s not about winning the argument, it’s about understanding each other. Oh, and don’t interrupt.
6. Pray for each other, not about each other. Praying about each other will keep you stuck in negativity. Praying for each other sets you free to pray positively for your spouse.
7. Forgive. Remember you are both sinners. Sometimes we have higher expectations of each other than we have of ourselves. Cut your spouse some slack, and forgive as you would like to be forgiven.
8. Apologise. Even if your part is smaller. Take ownership of your mistakes. Make sure your conscience is void of offense toward God and your spouse. (Acts 24:16)
9. Surrender to God daily and strive to come closer to Him. As you do this you will come closer to each other.
10. Spend 30 minutes talking at least 4x a week. Communication is the lifeblood of relationship. The better your communication, the more connected you will feel.
11. Invest in your sexual relationship. Read a book together, try something new (like a new position or place – nothing kinky now), talk about what you like and don’t like.
12. Regularly ask God how to fulfil each other and meet each other’s needs. God created your spouse and knows exactly what he or she needs from you. Ask Him to inspire you to make your spouse feel special.
13. Don’t enable character defects. Help each other grow by challenging weaknesses lovingly.
14. Always use the language of encouragement. Support each other with positive words that are true. Criticism and negativity are relationship killers.
15. Do a regular relationship audit. Find out if you are meeting each other’s needs adequately. Ask your spouse how you can improve.
Marital harmony and happiness don’t come by accident. Being intentional demands that you take time and put in effort.
You can get the printable version of this post here. Print it out and keep these tips fresh in your mind.
If you’d like us to help you prepare for marriage, or do a marriage assessment, contact us. We’d love to help you start your marriage on the best footing, or get your marriage on an upward trajectory!
How many of these marriage tips do you do? Do you have any to add to the list? Share in the comments!